Guide to Caviar Accompaniments
Experience the decadent flavors of premium fish roe with a variety of classic pairings worthy of a czar.
Blini: A tradition borrowed from Old World Russia, caviar is typically served on blini, which are thin mini pancakes traditionally made from buckwheat flour.
- Caviar note: In the early days, Russia would hold races where people would run as they jolted a blini.
- A bit of history: The origins of Blini’s can be traced back to ancient times when it was made from oat jelly that was fried to make a thick, flat cake.
Crème fraiche: Made from fresh cultured cream from a local dairy, this exquisitely rich complement is ideal for balancing the mild saltiness of caviar with its creaminess and tart flavor.
- Caviar note: Following the European tradition, cream is separated from the milk, which creates a smooth cultured cream.
- A bit of history: Crème fraiche has its origins in Isigny-sur-Mer, a commune in the Calvados region of Normandy, France.
*For a true epicurean experience: Savor a small teaspoon of caviar on its own to experience its full range of flavors.
Wine and Spirit Pairings:
- Vodka- Its subtle flavor cleanses the palate and allows the complexity of caviar to prevail.
Suggested brands: Stoli, Jean Marc XO
- Champagne and Sparkling Wine: When enjoying caviar, it is recommended to marry the flavors of caviar with a dry champagne such as a brut or extra-sec to cleanse the palate.
Mother-of-Pearl Spoon: Its neutralizing material preserves the natural flavors of caviar while metal spoons degrade the taste.
Caviar note: The iridescent luster in Mother-of-Pearl is a result of nacre material, which is made from thin platelets of calcium carbonate secreted by the mollusk.
- Caviar 101: Gently spoon caviar out due to its delicate texture.
Share this Image On Your Site
The Best Oyster Bars in America
The beginning of fall doesn’t just signal a shift to cooler temperatures— it’s also the beginning of oyster season. T...
Wild Caught Caviar - Learn About Wild Caviar
Though farmed caviar has become popular in recent years after over-fishing critically depleted some imported caviar v...
Farmed Caviar - Learn About the Finest Farm-Raised Roe
Whether it originates from Italy, Israel, or the United States, much of the world’s finest true caviar available toda...