Guide to Caviar Accompaniments
Experience the decadent flavors of premium fish roe with a variety of classic pairings worthy of a czar.
Blini: A tradition borrowed from Old World Russia, caviar is typically served on blini, which are thin mini pancakes traditionally made from buckwheat flour.
- Caviar note: In the early days, Russia would hold races where people would run as they jolted a blini.
- A bit of history: The origins of Blini’s can be traced back to ancient times when it was made from oat jelly that was fried to make a thick, flat cake.
Crème fraiche: Made from fresh cultured cream from a local dairy, this exquisitely rich complement is ideal for balancing the mild saltiness of caviar with its creaminess and tart flavor.
- Caviar note: Following the European tradition, cream is separated from the milk, which creates a smooth cultured cream.
- A bit of history: Crème fraiche has its origins in Isigny-sur-Mer, a commune in the Calvados region of Normandy, France.
*For a true epicurean experience: Savor a small teaspoon of caviar on its own to experience its full range of flavors.
Wine and Spirit Pairings:
- Vodka- Its subtle flavor cleanses the palate and allows the complexity of caviar to prevail.
Suggested brands: Stoli, Jean Marc XO
- Champagne and Sparkling Wine: When enjoying caviar, it is recommended to marry the flavors of caviar with a dry champagne such as a brut or extra-sec to cleanse the palate.
Mother-of-Pearl Spoon: Its neutralizing material preserves the natural flavors of caviar while metal spoons degrade the taste.
Caviar note: The iridescent luster in Mother-of-Pearl is a result of nacre material, which is made from thin platelets of calcium carbonate secreted by the mollusk.
- Caviar 101: Gently spoon caviar out due to its delicate texture.
Share this Image On Your Site
Destination Guide: Oktoberfest
Contrary to what you might surmise from the name, Munich’s world-famous Oktoberfest celebration actually takes pla...
American Sturgeon Caviar - Shipped Right to Your Door
Sturgeons have been farmed in North America for caviar production since 1994. Today, many varieties of sturgeons are ...
Frozen Cocktails to Pair with Caviar for Labor Day
Image via The Spruce Traditional wisdom suggests that caviar be served with very limited drink options—most often Ch...